Voter Engagement Calling 2020
Engaging voters by telephoning them is one of the most valuable activities we can do. It is the one way we can allow voters to talk to real live Liberal Democrats! Real people - just like YOU!
What is voter engagement?
Two of our aims as a party are to:
- Play our part as community leaders by making sure that everyone has the information and support they need during this period of social distancing.
- Understand how people are feeling towards the Welsh Liberal Democrats, and if they are supporters ask them to help our campaign.
The best way of achieving this is to phone people up and talk to them. That's what voter engagement is.
It is about having lots of short conversations with lots of people. Helping them where we can, and understanding their views, but we're not trying to persuade them to vote for us nor are we trying to win them over to our way of thinking - not at the moment anyway...
What do I need?
We have prepared a script that includes the questions we want you to ask people, and a list of people to phone. All this is held in Connect, the Liberal Democrat online campaigning system. It has a Virtual Phone Bank function within it that tells you who to call (to stop two party activists from calling the same person) and lets you record what they tell you. It is fully GDPR compliant and stores the data securely.
You will need a computer or tablet with internet connection so that you can access Connect, and a telephone to make telephone calls from. These do ideally need to be two separate devices as it's incredibly difficult to use Connect on a smartphone while also using it to make calls.
Do you have a Connect account?
You will need a Connect account. If you don't have one please use this online form to request a Connect account.
What do I have to do?
Most areas are using the same script. You should download a copy of this script that we're using as a PDF or a Word document. Please read it in full before you start. If you have a printer it may be worth printing it off so that you have it by your side as well as on your screen.
To make calls:
- Log on to your account at https://connect.libdems.org.uk.
- Select "My Voters" at the top of the page.
- Select Virtual Phone Bank - which is bottom right of the home page.
- Select which phonebank you will be calling - you should see the "Voter Engagement 2020" phonebanks for your region listed, plus any your local campaign is using. If not, or you want to telephone canvass somewhere else, find the VPB code for the relevant phonebank here and type it in the space provided.
- Read the script once again before starting, and read the Top Tips at the bottom of this page.
- Start making the telephone calls, the telephone number you need to call is at the top of the page - please be aware that it is against the law to dial 141 to withhold your number when phoning a Virtual Phone Bank. If someone does call you back, explain that you are calling from the local Liberal Democrats just to check that they are ok at this time and have access to the support and information they need.
- Follow the script and record their responses on Connect. Remember to read the required GDPR statement (it's in the script) when asking for someone's e-mail address.
When can I start?
You can start straight away. The phonebanks will be available on Connect between 10am and 8:30pm every day. You can make calls whenever suits you between those times.
If you would rather call alongside other people, all connected via Zoom, you could join the Welsh Phonebank Team who meet regularly to make calls together.
And finally... some Top Tips
- Before dialling, check the names of the people in the household you are due to call. You can find these at the top of the page.
- Always start off by checking that you are speaking to the right person.
- Smile when you speak. It comes through in your voice.
- Stick to the questions in the script, but don't robotically read out each one exactly as written.
- Record each response in Connect as you go along.
- If the telephone number doesn't work, you don't get through to the household you were expecting, or you don't get an answer, there is a special question where you can record this.
- If you're calling a landline and you have more than one person listed ask to speak to each person in turn.
- Thank them for their time before bringing the call to a close.
Dos and Don’ts
- Please do signpost residents who need support to the Welsh Government Covid Support Portal - https://gov.wales/find-support-affected-coronavirus
- Please don’t give out medical advice - signpost them to https://www.111.wales.nhs.uk, 111 or 999.
- Please don’t enter into political discussions - this is about understanding their views not telling them that they are wrong.
- Please don’t offer direct practical assistance, like shopping or picking up prescriptions. We don’t have any safeguarding around this.
- Please don’t share any data about residents with anyone but the VPB leader.