The current Party President is Paula Yates
Paula joined the Liberal Party in Carmarthen in 1973 and was a founder member of the Liberal Democrats. She was Leader of Maidstone Borough Council in the 1980s and 1990s and has stood both for Westminster and the European Parliament.
She was elected President in November 2019 and as part of this role chairs the Party Board.
The responsibilities of the Party President are to:
- Be the principal public representative of Party Members;
- Chair the meetings of, and ensure the proper functioning of, the Board;
- Carry ultimate responsibility for fulfilling the duties of the Board;
- Report on their activities, and those of the Board, to the Conference;
- Ensure any working groups established by the Board are kept informed of any relevant decisions made by the Board or Committees;
- Ensure the needs of diverse communities are considered and acted upon in all their work;
- Work with the Executive Officers, Board members, elected representatives and party members in the best interests of the Party;
- Act as a budget holder for the activities of the Board, and ensure compliance with any financial procedures put in place by the Finance and Resources Committee; and
- Discharge such other functions as the Conference or the Constitution shall allocate to them.
Further details can be found in the Party's constitution.