The election is underway. People across Wales have begun to vote by post.
Thank you for helping us make calls to voters before polling day; to remind postal voters to return their ballot papers, and to speak to key voters before they cast their vote.
Calling postal voters to remind them to vote increases the chances of them voting Welsh Liberal Democrats.
You can make calls in your own time or join one of our Get Out the Postal Vote group calling events, where activists across Wales link up on Zoom to provide some mutual support.
Below you will find everything you need to know to make telephone calls. Thank you for everything that you do.
If you are an experienced phone canvasser here are some links directly to the resources you need. Please be aware that the briefing on the script has been updated.
What will I be speaking to voters about?
Our aim will be to speak with as many voters as possible, many of whom will have postal votes, to check if their ballot papers have arrived and if they have returned it. It's an opportunity to talk over any queries that they have before casting their vote and also to ask if they would help the Welsh Liberal Democrats during the rest of the campaign.
What do I need?
We have prepared a script that includes the questions we will want you to ask people, and a list of people to phone. All this is held in Connect, the Liberal Democrat online campaigning system. It has a Virtual Phone Bank function that tells you who to call (and stops two party activists from calling the same person) and lets you record what they tell you. It is fully GDPR compliant and stores the data securely.
The script is a simple set of questions, essentially asking how people intend to vote and how they have voted in the past, as well as some other questions asking if they will help with the campaign. We have prepared a briefing on the script which is worth downloading, printing off and having by your side.
Computer and telephone
You need a computer or tablet with internet connection so that you can access Connect, and a telephone to make telephone calls from. These do ideally need to be two separate devices as it's incredibly difficult to use Connect on a smartphone while also using it to make calls.
A Connect account login
Do you have a Connect account. If you don't you can apply for one online.
Virtual Phone Bank codes
We have divided the list of people that we need to call by geographical area, each called a Virtual Phone Bank (or VPB for short). Some constituencies have their own VPB while others have been grouped together. Each VPB has a code which you will need to access it.
A quick training video
We have prepared a short training video which is worth watching.
How do I make calls?
To make calls:
- Log on to your account at https://connect.libdems.org.uk.
- Select "My Voters" at the top of the page.
- Select "Virtual Phone Bank" - which can be found on the right hand side of the screen.
- Select the Virtual Phone Bank that you wish to call. You should see a list of VPBs which you can call. If not, you can type in the code for the VPB.
- Read the script as it appears on the screen, and the briefing on the script once again before starting, and read the Top Tips at the bottom of this page.
- Start making the telephone calls, the telephone number you'll need to call will be at the top of the screen in Connect - please be aware that it is against the law to dial 141 to withhold your number when phoning a Virtual Phone Bank. If someone does call you back, explain that you were calling from the Welsh Liberal Democrats about the upcoming election..
- Follow the script and record their responses on Connect. Remember to read the required GDPR statement (it's towards the end of the script) when asking for someone's e-mail address.
Can I make calls at any time?
Yes you can. The Virtual Phone Banks will be available on Connect between 9am and 9pm every day. You can make calls whenever suits you between those times.
If you rather make calls with others why not join one of our Get Out the Postal Vote group calling events. These are taking place at the following times:
- Monday, 3rd May between 4pm and 7:30pm
- Tuesday, 4th May between 4pm and 7:30pm
- Wednesday, 5th May between 4pm and 7:30pm
How will I connect with everyone else?
If you want to join one of the Get Out the Postal Vote group calling events all you need to do in log in to Zoom call.
And finally... some Top Tips
- Before dialling, check the names of the people in the household you are due to call. You can find these at the top of the page.
- Always start off by checking that you are speaking to the right person.
- Smile when you speak. It comes through in your voice.
- Stick to the questions in the script, but ask them in a way that's comfortable for you. You don't have to robotically read out each one exactly as written.
- Record each response in Connect as you go along.
- If the telephone number doesn't work, you don't get through to the household you were expecting, or you don't get an answer, there is a special question where you can record this.
- If you're calling a landline and you have more than one person listed ask to speak to each person in turn.
- Thank them for their time before bringing the call to a close.