As Welsh Liberal Democrats, we believe it’s vital for our party to improve diversity at a local level, increasing representation of under-represented groups, programmes of membership and supporter engagement, and helping candidates with the cost of conferences. This funding is particularly aimed at ethnic minority candidates who are standing for the Senedd, Council or Westminster Parliament in Wales.
The individual applying must already be an approved candidate. It cannot be used as part of a local selection process but it can be used for attending training courses that would help the candidate.
The diversity fund has supported a wide variety of activity right across the country. We don’t want to be too prescriptive in what candidates bid for, but there are some broad guidelines to take into account.
How do I apply?
Fill out the form here (need to create form - the wording on next page) and explain about the activity that you wish to undertake as well as the amount of money that you are requesting
Who decides on the allocation of money from the funds?
The fund is overseen by a panel of Board members who will meet to consider the applications received and decide upon the fund allocation.
- Anne Williams - The Executive Officer for Membership Development
- Leena Farhat - Diversity Officer for the Welsh Party
- Julian Tandy - The Executive Officer for Campaigns & Communications
A meeting will be held immediately after every board meeting to discuss applications and all applicants will be notified of the outcome following the meeting taking place.
Some hints and tips for a successful bid
- Complete all sections on the application form as fully as possible – the more complete a picture we have of your financial and organisational circumstances, the easier it will be for the team to make a decision.
- Try and give an honest assessment of what the impact would be of the money received. Let us know if you think it would help you win your council seats, motivate more members and supporters to get involved or improve your overall campaign capacity. The more specific you can be the better.